I am a certified secondary science teacher. I have 6 years of teaching experience in the Mountain Brook School System in Birmingham, Alabama.  I have been a stay at home mom for the past 4 years, but intend to return to the class room within the next 3 years.

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Techno Kids

When I look around my house I realize how technologically savy my children are and will be. I have a 5 year old that can use a laptop better than me and I dare not challenge him to a game of Mario Kart. He can also manipulate my husband's iphone and is already in computer class in kindergarten. Old school teaching is nearly a thing of the past. Kids need technology. They understand it better and it can help them understand things better. For example, when I taught science there was one section I hated teaching. The elctromagnetic spectrum was the most difficult topic to explain. We can only see a small fraction of it with our eyes. I needed to find a great way of getting it across to them. I decided to make a webquest. A webquest is a web based research project that can incorporate as much technology or as little. I have never had so many students excited about learning this topic. Because I brought technology into the equation they were all about learning more. Podcasts, Blogs, websites, webquests, facebook, imovie, interactive games, distance learning labs are all important tools for teachers to know about and use. Our children are not going to become less technological. Their tech-awareness is what is going to push teachers to learn more and do more. As a teacher I am thrilled about all of the technology available and I look forward to learning about and using these fun new tools. And maybe will discover a few new ones along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment