I am a certified secondary science teacher. I have 6 years of teaching experience in the Mountain Brook School System in Birmingham, Alabama.  I have been a stay at home mom for the past 4 years, but intend to return to the class room within the next 3 years.

Sunday, March 8, 2009

I hate Make-up Work!!

The biggest headache of being a teacher is make-up work. I hate it! It is hard to give out, it is hard to grade, and it is hard to keep track of. I hated it until I found a great way to take care of it. I put all the responsibility on the students, and it made my life so easy. So here is how it worked. I made a bulletin board specifically for make-up work. On this board I posted generic assignments that could be done in the place of an assignment missed (example: section reviews, end of chapter reviews, internet searchs on certain topics). Different assignments were worth different points. There were 1 point, 5 point, 10 point, and 20 points assignments. The students would pick the appropriate amount of points needed in order to make up the assignment they missed. The instructions for completing and turning in the work was posted on the board. So when a child missed school they knew where to go for make up work and what to do. The only time I dealt with the issue of make-up work was when I had to grade it. I made sure that my parent knew about the board also. This idea can easily be translated to a blog and would be easily accessible and make-up work could be done before returning to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment