I am a certified secondary science teacher. I have 6 years of teaching experience in the Mountain Brook School System in Birmingham, Alabama.  I have been a stay at home mom for the past 4 years, but intend to return to the class room within the next 3 years.

Sunday, March 8, 2009

A Bit About Me

I never thought about being a teacher when I was growing up. I always knew that I wanted to be a mommy and stay home with my children. But as a high school graduate I knew I was going to need to do something useful with my time until the mommy thing came to be. I thought about careers that would fit being a mother, and school teacher was the best fit. I attended Faulkner State Community College in Bay Minnette, and transferred to the University of South Alabama. I received my Bachelors of Science in General Science/Secondary Education from the University of South Alabama in December of 1998. My degree allows me the flexibility in teaching any science course in middle or high school. I taught 7th grade science for 6 years in Mountain Brook, Alabama. In those 6 years I learned the difference in being a teacher and being a great teacher. I also learned a great deal about myself and developed my philosophy about teaching. My last year teaching I received the highest honor a teacher can receive. I was voted as Mountain Brook Junior High School's Teacher of the Year. I was the youngest recipient (I was 26 years old) of this award in the history of the school. I began working on my masters degree the two years of employment with the Mountain Brook School System. I worked very hard to earn my Masters of Science in Geosciences from Mississippi State University. After 6 wonderful years at Mountain Brook and a newly earned masters degree my husband and I decided to move back home to Foley, Alabama. We have been back home for 4 years now and my goal of being a stay at home mom has been realized. I stay home with my 2 boys, and know that being here is the hardest yet most important thing I have ever done.

No comments:

Post a Comment